Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Cultural Attendance Blog #3 - Otakon

          I attended Otakon in at the Baltimore Convention Center. Otakon was the first anime convention I have ever been to. For about 5 years I have been trying to go with my friends but they always came up with excuses as to why they couldn’t go. I decided to just go on my own and had low expectations as I was by myself. I had arranged to meet up with people who I met through tumblr.com and I had never met them in person before.
         Surprisingly everything turned out fine and it was a really fun experience. I got to meet other fans of the same stuff I watch and it was crazy having people understand all of the anime references I make because I’m not used to that. I went to panels that featured voice actors, the Japanese history in anime, and I got to see how Anime licensing companies in the USA operate. 

          I attended Funimation’s panel (an anime licensing company stationed in Texas) and I saw all the announcements they made and trailers they themselves made about anime that were going to be dubbed into english for US audiences. I actually had the thought occur that Funimation would be a company I would want to work for and I could actually adapt well considering my knowledge in the communications department combined with my knowledge of anime. I could tell from the panel that the staff at Funimation really do love anime and enjoy their jobs and that is something I look for in a job. They also get to go to conventions across the country all the time which is something I would not be opposed to doing myself. So once I graduate I will look into a job in Funimation Entertainment because it is very relevant to my interests. I had fun at my first anime convention and I made some new friends who I would like to see the next time I attend a convention. Hopefully my other friends will go next time after I tell them of my experiences there (but not of the money I spent there).



No comments:

Post a Comment